Re: Remote display-time-mail-file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Remote display-time-mail-file
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:08:37 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:00:27 +0200
>
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this can help.  For
> > starters, time.el needs Tramp to check the remote every time, so the
> > cache just gets in the way.
>
> But each use from time.el might end up calling some internal Tramp
> functions several times, so the cache may still speed things up.

That's true, but my conclusion from this is different: we probably
should have finer granularity of the cache setting.

I guess some of the internal Tramp functions need not be called any
time soon after the first call, for example those that find out which
method to use to access the remote and which scripts to run on the
remote side.  Other internal functions will need to run every time
display-time-file-nonempty-p is called.  And there could be those in
between.  So perhaps these internal functions should be categorized in
some reasonable manner, and then corresponding values added to the
repertoire of tramp-cache-inhibit-cache's values, so that Lisp
programs could have finer control on what is being cached and when the
cache is refreshed.