RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:44:24 -0700

> As for C-d and its command delete-forward-char, the
> documentation states:
>  To disable this, set `delete-active-region' to nil.

That also prevents DEL (Backspace) from deleting the active region.

But at least setting it to nil does not prevent DEL from working correctly in
delete-selection mode.  So yes, setting it to nil is a solution for me, since I
use delete-selection mode.

I still think this "feature" of having C-d and <delete> delete the active region
is misguided for Emacs.  But as long as it doesn't affect delete-selection mode
I cannot complain for my own use.

I do complain for Emacs, however, that the default value of the option changes
the default behavior.  If those behind this "improvement" want to let users
optionally delete the region with C-d and <delete>, then OK, provide that as an
option.  But do not make it the default.

Keep the default behavior as it was, and let users try the new Wunder behavior
optionally, if they so wish.