Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 03:53:36 +0900

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> for `delete' we already decided that it should delete an
>> active region (by default).
>
> I see.  Where/when was that decided?
>
> That's too bad.  C-d and <delete> should just delete the next char.

I personally don't care what happens to <delete> (I never, ever, use
it), but to be fair, I think there is a case for it having the "delete
region" functionality:  (1) it seems to do that on "other" software,
and (2) It's the only key on most keyboards that's actually labelled
"delete", so it's not surprising that naive users might expect it to
delete the region they just carefully selected...

[and again, neither is true of "C-d"...]

-Miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.