RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:13:25 -0700

> > Keep the default behavior as it was, and let users try the
> > new Wunder behavior optionally, if they so wish.
>
> While I have some sympathy for that train of thought (there's
> nothing as enraging as a trusted tool suddenly doing something
> unexpected), that means that all new users have to suffer forever
> with an old-timey behaviour, even though the new behaviour might
> make a lot more sense for new users.

Bzzzt!  No, but thanks for playing.

All new users will NOT have to suffer forever.  In fact, NO new users will have
to suffer forever.  New users, like old users, can discover options and change
their settings if they like.

The default behavior should be the behavior that we think is best out of the
box.  I don't happen to agree that the default behavior for C-d (and <delete>)
should be changed.

> After all, experienced Emacs users know (or should know) that
> they can twiddle some variables to get any old behaviour back.

Would that it were (always). ;-)

But I am hoping and expecting that the promises of new settings to get back all
of the pre-24 selection/region behavior will be respected.  Still waiting for
the dust to settle on that one.