Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:42:55 +0200

> The default behavior should be the behavior that we think is best out of the
> box.

THIS is reasonable.

>> After all, experienced Emacs users know (or should know) that
>> they can twiddle some variables to get any old behaviour back.

This is NOT reasonable at all and was said too many times.

BTW: New users are NO reason for a change.  It just pure virtual and
holds no truth at all -- it cannot.

Most "normal" applications are inferior to Emacs, that's why we all use
Emacs in the end.

So how can those "normal" applications rule Emacs ????

I for one do not want to hear that virtual "new users" argument any more
on a reasonable mailing list.  It is NO argument.

Technical advantages, reasonable behaviour and preferences ARE arguments
for changes or, in this case, against them.

Deleting regions through simple editing commands is NOT reasonable.
It slows down editing and is non-productive (some say dangerous).

Sebastian