Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:46:02 -0600

On 9/19/2010 3:39 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

I suspect you're aware of `M-y', right?
The last kill is always on top of the kill-ring.
Keeping more than one thing for yanking is one of the unique strengths
of emacs.

Yes I am aware of that. I actually use browse-kill-ring for maximum convenience with the kill-ring. But I think you misunderstood: I want only things on the kill-ring that I put there. I don't want things to end up on the kill ring which weren't supposed to go there, i.e. deleted items. So, the solution of using C-w for deleting (not killing) a region is suboptimal, since it pollutes my kill-ring. I press M-y which (with browse-kill-ring) pops up a nice selection window and I have to sift through all of these deleted items instead of my nice and clean collection of kills.

Christoph