Re: Google modules integration

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:16:40 -0400

    While
    freedom is a universal value, not everyone values it as you do.

People have all sorts of political views, and lots of people totally
disagree with the GNU Project's values.  We respect their right to
advocate their views; however, aside from that, their views are not
pertinent here.  Lots of people think proprietary software is fine,
but that is no reason for us to grant it legitimacy.  They may also
think that SaaS is fine.  That is no reason for us to grant it
legitimacy.

      Unfortunately, as freedom-loving as you are, you
    nevertheless found it necessary to build a wall between the free
    software movement,

It is not a wall, it is a clear distinction.  The distinction shows
the difference between two philosophies based on different values.
It does not restrict what anyone can think.

                       and the open source movement, many of whose leaders
    are just as dedicated to freedom in their own way,

It is true that many open source advocates contribute to programs that
are free.  But it is implausible that many open source leaders
agree with us.  A few say they do, but the rest disagree.

I believe that open source advocates in general say what they really
think, and that they really don't agree with us.  Most of them learned
their values from other open source advocates, who won't have directed
them towards seeing an issue of freedom in the manner of distribution
of software.

    but also the implicit networks defined by
    people traveling to meet friends or to eat dinner, making phone calls
    to their mothers or their brokers, etc.

If I ever envisage taking a stand against that, I will be sure to let
you know.