RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:10:17 -0700

> >    Thanks.  But we're discussing here what to do with C-d:
> >    for `delete' we already decided that it should delete an
> >    active region (by default).  Whether you agree with this
> >    `delete' behavior is irrelevant.
> >
> > It won't bother anyone for `delete' to delete the region.  Making
> > `backspace' do so is the change that will bother lots of users.
>
> However a lot of other people also expect C-d to delete the visible
> region.

Huh?  Where do you get that?  Who would expect that based on other applications
or platforms?  That is certainly not what C-d does on Windows, for instance.

> I think we really need to get compatibility of this kind
> implemented.

Compatibility?  With what?

> (I have some ideas for it, but I have a lack of time at
> the moment so I have preferred not to say much about it.)

Start by saying something to back up your preposterous claims that a lot of
people are used to C-d deleting the selection and that there is a
"compatibility" imperative for C-d to do so.