Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:42:51 +0900

Leo <address@hidden> writes:
> BTW, I think the "Newbie Argument" start to smell bad. It merely leads
> to bad decisions. Sometimes I don't even know if people are talking
> about the same kind of newbies.

You can ignore the "newbie argument" if you want; I think a lot of
what's being done in their name actually applies equally well to
people that switch often between Emacs and other UIs, and generally to
the goal of having Emacs exist harmoniously in today's environments.
Maybe some people _only_ use Emacs, but I think many of us aren't so
lucky...  :)

For instance, I find having shift-selection available in emacs very
nice for those times when I happen to be flipping back-and-forth
between Emacs and another text-editing interface.  Of course,
shift-select doesn't interfere with other features, and other less
benign changes need to be approached more carefully.

[I turn on "emacs bindings" modes whenever I can (e.g. GTK and
Eclipse), but these are usually only very approximate emulations, and
one still needs to use the native bindings for many operations.]

-Miles

--
Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that
you do not entertain.