Re: C-x C-x (was: C-d deleting region considered harmful)

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: C-x C-x (was: C-d deleting region considered harmful)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:25:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So, I think we agree that we should change the active-region deletion so
> it only happens for `delete' and not for C-d.
> Good.  We're just waiting for someone to cobble up
> a corresponding patch.
Even if i like C-d to delete region i think it's better to not activate
it as it is easy to enable that if one need it.(the contrary is not)
But i wonder why, when you enable such a thing you don't create a
variable that allow one to enable or not this feature.

> Now for the spinoff thread that keeps spinning off other ones: I'd be
> willing to decouple C-x C-x from "(re)activate the region", but then we
> need to find some other way to reactivate the region.
> Suggestions welcome.  Of course there's C-u C-x C-x, but I don't find it
> very appealing (just like C-u C-x C-x doesn't sound too appealing to
> people who currently want to exchange-mark-and-point without activating
> the region).

It seem there is two use of C-x C-x:

1) Exchanging point and mark allow one to modify beginning or end of
region, preferably with transient-mark-mode enabled.
e.g i want to keep first five lines and 3 last lines of buffer:
C-x h C-n(* 5) C-x C-x C-p(* 2)

2) Without transient-m-m enabled it allow to navigate in a buffer from
one point to another what is not very useful unless you are working in
only two differents positions in buffer.
So why these users are not using C-u C-<space> with
set-mark-command-repeat-pop enabled?
I personnaly prefer using a mark-ring browser to know exactly where i
move.

So it seem all the tools are here in emacs (except mark browser) so why
do you always want to oblige people using this or that feature?

Maybe add user variable to enable this or that but keep emacs
flexibility, that allow one to do exactly what he wants with emacs.

Arguing 'this is better for Newby' remove this flexibility and will reduce
Emacs power to the level of other 'popular' softwares that is very low.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: