Re: Google modules integration

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:01:26 -0400

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

> Has a consensus been reached out or will this be ignored?

I agree with RMS that there is nothing wrong in principle with Google
Maps and Google Weather as services, but I dislike the idea of adding
Google branding into Emacs, in the form of "google-maps.el", etc.

(Yes, "Java" and "Javascript" are also trademarks associated with
proprietary software companies, but those are programming languages and
their presence is mostly unavoidable if Emacs is to function as a
programmers' editor.)

Regarding the map package, I think we can include it provided
OpenStreetMaps is used by default, and the package name is changed into
something more generic (net-maps, maybe?), including function and
variable names.  Stefan, WDYT?

Analogous steps could be taken for the weather package (e.g. accepting
the NOAA feed instead of Google's API).