Re: Problems with xml-parse-string

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Problems with xml-parse-string
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:00:00 -0400

>> Yes, it's conceivable, but maybe the args and/or output would look
>> different anyway.
>
> If we kept the name, then we'd keep the interface.  :-)
>
> Anyway, it's not important to me.  If y'all want the names to be
> `libxml-parse-html-string'/`libxml-parse-xml-string', that's fine by
> me.

A `libxml' prefix sounds a bit weird to me.  When we link to the GPM
library, the functions are `gpm-mouse-*' not `libgpm-mouse-*'.

I think the xml.el package needs to be re-written with the new libxml2
support in mind, so that it makes use of the libxml functions if they
are available and fall back on the Elisp parser.

>From this point of view, the new functions should be called
xml-parse-string-internal or something like that.