Re: Can a variable be both a defcustom and buffer local?

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Can a variable be both a defcustom and buffer local?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:03:59 +0200

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 01:03:19AM +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Stefan Monnier
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> ispell-local-dictionary is that. Does that work?
> >
> > Yes, for some definition of "work".
>
> Maybe the shown help text should explain this? Something like this
> could be added:
>
> "Customizing this variable changes the global value which is the
> default for new buffers."

Looking at that part of the code and at an ancient ispell.el I had here,
the case of `ispell-local-dictionary' seems to be a reminiscence
from ancient times, kept for backwards compatibility with people's .emacs
files and with ancient docs.

Seems that global change should now be done by customizing
`ispell-dictionary' (noticed now when looking at the code, I recently
wrongly suggested jidanni to use `ispell-local-dictionary' rather than
`ispell-dictionary'). It was previously a defvar and was at some time
changed to a defcustom.

--
Agustin