Re: Reading D-Bus messages

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Reading D-Bus messages
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:10:14 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> 2010-09-24 08:30, Michael Albinus skrev:
>> Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden>  writes:
>>
>>> I'd rather turn the table and ask why is the call to
>>> xd_read_queued_messages made in gobble_input and not elsewhere?  Why
>>> are we mixing input from D-Bus with keyboard input?  And why in
>>> gobble_input?
>>
>> D-Bus messages arrive asynchronously. xd_read_queued_messages() converts
>> them into special events, which are stored via kbd_buffer_store_event().
>>
>> gobble_input() is used, because it is called at several places, for
>> instance in sit_for(), kbd_buffer_get_event(), get_input_pending(),
>> ns_select() - D-Bus messages shall be handled as soon as they arrive.
>
> This is overkill.  Not even X messages are processed this fast.
> Checking for D-bus messages when the input loop is entered should be enough.

Yep, would be sufficient to get them the same rate as X events, for
example. Somebody, who knows keyboard.c better than I do, could move the
xd_read_queued_messages() call to an appropriate place. Maybe just
inside kbd_buffer_get_event() ?

Handling D-Bus messages like process output would not be reasonable,
because one needs to requests this via accept-process-output. And there
is no related process.

>       Jan D.

Best regards, Michael.