Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 94, Issue 89

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 94, Issue 89
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 22:19:10 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:50:27 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:41:24 +0200
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Is this really a good idea?  There's no chance the number of lines in
> > > a frame will overflow a 32-bit int any time soon.  SO I think an
> > > explicit cast to int is a better solution here.
> >
> > That was my first impulse, too, but the other int casting got negative
> > feedback..
>
> You mean, GCC still complains?

Or maybe you mean that Stefan thought casting was not the best idea.
In that case, I'd like Stefan's opinion on this one:

> -  int frame_lines = FRAME_LINES (frame);
> +  EMACS_INT frame_lines = FRAME_LINES (frame);

I think down that lane lies madness, because we have lots of struct
members that are Lisp integers, and assigning the result of XINT of
every one of them to an EMACS_INT will significantly and unnecessarily
increase our stack usage (on 64-bit machines).