Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:58:11 +0900

Leo <address@hidden> writes:
> Those functions are not there overnight they probably came from people's
> years of experience using and designing lisp. So they will be reinvented
> from time to time for writing any non-trivial elisp packages except now
> we have slightly different versions here and there.
>
> My wish is all of them should be incorporated into elisp.

Some CL functions are so trivial that it's not hard to move them (e.g.,
gensym, though I've somehow gotten the impression it's frowned on these
days), but more tricky are those of obvious usefulness, that have
keyword-heavy interfaces in CL (though I think it's quite common that in
many cases few or none of the keyword argument are actually used very
often).

For instance, `remove-if' is obviously useful (I think it's often one of
those "I use cl.el for that function" functions), not complex, and could
probably be moved into the core in some simplified form.

Suggested function signature:  (remove-if PREDICATE SEQ [TEST]) -- and
of course, change the cl.el version to deal with TEST as well.

-Miles

p.s. Another [kinda related to remove-if] that I've often wanted to use,
but didn't because it wasn't in the core, is `mapcan' -- and nit doesn't
even have any keywords!

--
Justice, n. A commodity which in a more or less adulterated condition the
State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal