Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101633: Add fd handling with cal

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101633: Add fd handling with callbacks to select, dbus needs it for async operation.
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 03:43:15 -0400

> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:30:11 +0200
> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> This case may be simple, but what does subprocesses (for exampe) mean?  It
> doesn't mean just "have subprocess", it also means "we can do select" and "we
> can listen to many inputs at once", and so on.

It means the build supports async subprocesses.  Once upon a time,
several platforms where Emacs could be built did not have this
capability, but nowadays only the DOS build remains without it.

Quite a few of the macros are documented in src/config.in and in
src/m/*.h and src/s/*.h header files.  This one is in config.in.

Btw, `select' is not the problem here, because even the DOS build has
it.  The issue is whether you have `pipe' and `fork'/`exec' (or some
equivalents thereof), and whether `select' can handle network file
descriptors.