testing framework and package.el

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: testing framework and package.el
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:18:26 +0200

Hi,

is there a chance to get a testing framework on elpa.gnu.org on the
short run?

Ert [1] is used in nxhtml, simple to use and documented.
Emt [2] is used in Org for one file, but comes without any
documentation and seems complicated (lot's of files and directories).
There are some more on [3].

Are there any other frameworks used for current emacs development?

Having one such framework on elpa.gnu.org could be a step to somewhat
standardized coding and serve as recommendation.

I just started to write a little test for an Org-mode function I
modified and would like to add more tests in the future.  In some cases
tests are even better than explanations or docs.  For now, I decided to
use ert [1] because of it's simplicity and documentation.  But I'd
rather switch to something widely used.

Sebastian

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ErtTestLibrary
[2] http://www.panix.com/~tehom/my-code/