Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:16:45 +0900

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:
> CL really should be dumped along with Emacs proper.

cl.el is a combination of good useful things that and horrible ugly
things (this isn't a comment on the CL language, btw -- many of the
problems with cl.el are issue with its implementation and consistency
with elisp).

That's one of the big problems with it:  it's a big undifferentiated
blob (to be fair, it was written a long time ago, back when the state
of elisp programming practice was ... less nice).

I interpret the consistent refusal to sanction cl.el to be a simple
resistance to wholesale adoption of ugly things, even if that means
some loss in terms of good things (perhaps with some intent to
pressure people into fixing the problems).

Users don't typically care of course -- they can simply ignore what
they don't like and use the 5 function in cl.el they really find
useful.  But the elisp maintainers need to care.

Of course, there's a solution which would probably make everybody
happy:  adopt the good things only, and fix some of the problems with
the horrible ugly things so that they can be adopted.  But people
advocating cl.el seem to usually stop short of putting any effort into
doing that...

-Miles

--
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're
just making him madder and madder." -- Homer Simpson