Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:43:39 -0700

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM, PJ Weisberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/30/10, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Oh, I wouldn't consider Emacs broken if I cannot grep utf-16 files
>>> from inside it. YMMV.
>>
>> I am a bit surprised by that.
>
> Well, the "grep through files" function is semi-broken, but then
> again, the "send email" function is broken if your mail server is
> down.  ::shrug::

This issue deserves more respect than it's been getting, though.  It's
perfectly reasonable to expect a utility for searching through text to
find text in a file containing text.

Emacs delegates that task to grep, and if it doesn't work properly
that should be addressed in grep.  The percentage of grep users who
use it through Emacs is tiny, so assuming for the moment that everyone
agrees that grep should support UTF-16, addressing it in emacs instead
of grep would mean the problem is still mostly unfixed.