Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:01:28 +0200

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:32:16 +0200
>
> It seem most modern windows versions come with powershell.
> Why windows users don't use it as backend for Emacs instead of using
> external Gnuwin32 programs?

How would that help, exactly?

When PowerShell came out, I tried it, and found that it had its own
quirks, not surprisingly.  So we would be replacing one bunch of
problems with another.  At least the current tools are widely known
and well understood, and we have much higher chances getting changes
into tools like Grep than into PowerShell.