Re: Combining face and map stuff

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Combining face and map stuff
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 00:16:16 -0400

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Easiest way is probably to use overlay faces.
>
> Oh, combining faces with overlays worked fine.
>
> But combining keymaps with overlays doesn't work?

The face code goes to some lengths to handle inheritance, so that all
the face properties from text properties and all overlays are combined
into the final displayed result.  The way keymaps are handled is a
little simpler: the highest-priority overlay with a keymap property (or,
failing that an underlying keymap text property) is used for the local
map.

In the past, it's been pretty painful making sure face inheritance works
just right.  So I can't say I'm enthusiastic about implementing anything
similar for local keymaps...