Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: David Robinow
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:29:41 -0400

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 20:35:30 -0400
>> From: David Robinow <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Somebody should first make sure FIND supports Unicode strings.  Most
>> > of the console programs don't.
>> >
>> It appears to (Vista Home Premium)
>
> How did you test that?
 I found a UTF-16 file on my computer. Used 'TYPE' from a cmd window
to see the data.
Used cygwin 'file' to verify that it was UTF-16.
Then cygwin 'grep' which failed (I don't have a Windows version but
nobody claims it works anyway). Then 'FIND' from a cmd window (using
the same string which failed for grep) and it worked.
I will try Windows XP tomorrow.