Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:39:05 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Lennart Borgman
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Looks like the PowerShell cmdlet that's supposed to be equivalent of
>>> Grep is Select-String.
>>
>> Yes, thanks. And that actually works with utf-16.
>>
>> So now we have a strange situation.
>

> Or maybe not. Looking at the documentation for Select-String here
>
>   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd315403.aspx
>
> it does not look as it autodetects the coding system in the file.
>
> It does not even say it can handle utf-16, or at least I can't find
> it. Maybe someone who understands this better can see it there?

Can you try to use FINDSTR from command line (it work from eshell) and
tell me if that work on your utf-16 files?
(It seem this command is not part of powershell)

I wrote some code that use this command with success on windows (with
anything).

That would allow to have a decent grep that work on windows without
having to install external programs.

Even if that seem not powerfull as grep for regexps, that provide a
default grep command better than "grep command not found".

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: