Re: define-major-mode

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: define-major-mode
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:23:28 +0900

Miles Bader writes:

 > hmm, I didn't know about `prog-mode' and `special-mode' -- when did
 > those appear?  [I'm wondering if they'd be acceptable to external
 > maintainers supporting older emacs versions/xemacs.]

You'll have to ask them, but I would suspect they'd not be real happy
about it since they'd have to emulate the functionality in older
XEmacsen, including currently stable 21.4 and trunk 21.5 (and I
presume older Emacsen, but I have no idea how old).

Just let time take its course with respect to the external
maintainers.