Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: moving more cl seq/mapping support into core
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 01:32:19 +0200

>> The use of make-symbol is a fairly recent change, to avoid filling the
>> obarray with an ever-increasing number of temporary symbols.
> But gensymed symbols aren't interned and should be GCed when no longer
> referenced. I thought make-symbol was used just to avoid having to cons
> up a new string for the symbol name.

Oh, you're right.  Yes, it's because it's silly to waste time and space
changing the symbol's names.

> Regardless, it'd be nice to be able to switch that off to make some
> macro-expansions legible (or maybe I should write a tree walker that
> disambiguates identically-named but distinct symbols).

The problem is the printed representation, not the use of make-symbol.
The printed representation should use #= and friends to make it clear
which symbols are uninterned and which ones are identical or not.

        Stefan