Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:29:11 +0900

Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> writes:
> Why do you disagree?

Drew is technically correct, in that it's not a _perfect_ superset.

But it's so damned close that 99% of the users will never even notice
that something's changed, and I'd guess that the number of people that
will benefit from the additional functionality/features will vastly
outstrip those who are devastated that their favorite list-buffers
keybinding has changed.

Some of the differences are fairly easy to fix -- e.g., list-buffers
uses whizzy new-style header-line headers, whereas ibuffer uses
oldskool simple fixed-width headers.  Some of the keybinding
differences can also easily be resolved; the only hard cases are a few
keybindings that can't be made compatible because ibuffer uses those
keys for something else.

Anyway, as I say, while the differences exist, they're for the most
part simply irrelevant.  The right thing to do is to simply switch to
ibuffer, and then fix stuff up as the need arises (or somebody gets
the itch to do so).

-Miles

--
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.  -- Steven Wright