Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default

From: René Kyllingstad
Subject: Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:54:05 +0200

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> This was discussed briefly a few years ago and Stefan (and other
> people) agreed with it: how about we map ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
> in Emacs-24?

The most recent time seems to be March 2008, where you asked the
maintainers for suggestions on the following defaults:

"Here are some examples of changes that could be made:
- transient-mark, selection with Shift-arrow keys

- show-paren-mode on by default
- iswitchb-mode on by default
- bind ibuffer to C-x C-b
- hide-ifdef-mode on by default for C/C++/objc
- flyspell-mode on by default for text-mode"

Concerning ibuffer Stefan answered:

"I added many months ago the following entry in etc/TODO

** Merge ibuffer.el and buff-menu.el.
   More specifically do what's needed to make ibuffer.el the default,
   or just an extension of buff-menu.el."

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00405.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00450.html

Similar exchanges also came up in 2003, 2006 and 2007. Stefan 2003:

"Hadn't it been decided to make Ibuffer the default (i.e. replacing
list-buffers) ?  Did I dream it ?
Also I see that list-buffers uses the header-line whereas Ibuffer
doesn't. "

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-03/msg00200.html

-- René