Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: binding ibuffer to C-x C-b by default
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 14:19:50 +0200

2010/10/8 Deniz Dogan <address@hidden>:
> 2010/10/8 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

>>> Binding C-x C-b only changes a key binding.
>>
>> And marriage only changes a soul binding.
>>
>>> This has nothing to do with modifying list-buffers or ibuffer, neither
>>> does it affect anyone with the intentions of doing that.
>>
>> You propose a divorce from C-x C-b with list-buffers, and a remarriage
>> with ibuffer.  Namely making a choice rather than an improvement to
>> either.
>>

> Don't dramatize the change of a key binding by comparing it to divorce
> and marriage.
>
> Nothing stops anyone from changing (or possibly even merging) ibuffer
> or buffer-menu if we change C-x C-b to ibuffer.
>
> It appears that this topic has been discussed back and forth for at
> least seven years already

In fact, I just found this from 2001:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2001-12/msg00546.html

So it seems that the intention back then was to obsolete buff-menu in
favor of ibuffer (and in doing so change C-x C-b to ibuffer, of
course). I'm not sure that this ever happened.

--
Deniz Dogan