Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp://

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:07:15 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Reportedly, there were some untold difficulties to do so.  Given the
>> number of minutes it took today, I have my doubts.

Hardly "untold"; see below.

>The great Chinese emperor commissioned a painting of a rooster from a
>famous artist.  The artist told him that it would take considerable
>time.  After months and months of reminders and delays, the emperor went
>to artist in person and entered his house, telling him that he would
>stay at his place until the painting was done.  The artist put an empty
>canvas on the scaffold [ok, somebody better versed in Chinese art please
>substitute the correct materials here], took his brush and ink, and with
>few swift and determined strokes put the perfect likeness of a rooster
>to the canvas, scarcely taking a minute.
>
>The emperor was furious: "You let me wait that long for a painting
>taking a minute?  What for?".  Without a word, the artist opened the
>door to his work room: the room was plastered, wall and ceiling, with
>different paintings of roosters, stacks of them piling up on the floor.

As one of the rooster painters, I can say it was not just a matter of
minutes for someone unfamiliar with the GNU systems and trying to do it
in a maintainable way :-).  Perhaps it was that easy for Sylvain; in any
case I'm glad he was able to get to it.

In public posts, I detailed some of this.  Elsethread from the below,
you can see some of the problems I ran into, how long it could sometimes
take to get questions answered, etc.  This is *not* to blame the GNU
sysadmins: they are volunteers, they work hard, and there is always too
much to do.  It's just not an easy system for integrating new volunteers
or drive-by contributions, unfortunately.

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-05/msg00024.html
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-06/msg00015.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-05/threads.html#00001

When I finally decided I didn't have time to deal with it, I also posted
publicly saying that I was off the job, and referencing the above posts
both to explain why and to show the status to whoever might pick it up.

All credit to Sylvain for getting it done.

-Karl