Re: Contributing & lisp/image-mode.el patch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Contributing & lisp/image-mode.el patch
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:09:29 +0200

address@hidden (Benjamin R. White) writes:

> I read within etc/CONTRIBUTE that I needed to contact this list to
> obtain forms so that the GNU/Emacs project may benefit by my
> contributions, so to this effect I've been subscribed to the digest
> version of the list for about a week. It's a bit scary for a newbie to
> see all the arguments that go on around here.

Developers feel strong enough about what they consider important that
they'll get up and do something about it.  If one of them thinks his
arguments don't register, he turns up the volume.  After all, his
arguments are good and important, so it must be a fault at the receiving
end.  Others turn down their receivers for certain sources.  The results
are somewhat working, but a newcomer does not yet have his sensors tuned
to the various sources.

It would be easier for new entrees if the atmosphere here were less
off-color with regard to standard communication habits.  Looking around
at other developer lists, this list does not appear all too bad in the
order of things.  Closed social circles can often become peculiar.  The
best you can hope to do is set a better example.  Admonishments don't
work much.

--
David Kastrup