Re: Testing the gnutls support

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Testing the gnutls support
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:25:53 -0500

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:25:25 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think this should be a file of certificates instead, which users can
>> encrypt with EPA, or maybe store with the Secrets API.  But that leads
>> me back to auth-source.el since it already has this kind of logic in
>> it.  WDYT about depending on auth-source.el for GnuTLS interactions?
>> I'm divided because OTOH gnutls.el is a low-level wrapper and a
>> dependency on auth-source.el will bring in other baggage.

LMI> Perhaps auth-source should split the Secrets API stuff out into a
LMI> separate library, and then both gnutls.el and auth-source.el could both
LMI> use it?

I mean the more general logic for "here's a host name and a protocol and
some search criteria, find some authentication tokens."  That's really
90% of auth-source.el and it seems that I would reimplement most of it
if gnutls.el did its own handling of certificate storage.

I think I'll change the auth-source API, since I'll be rewriting at
least some of that library.  It may make sense to make the query
language more powerful, handle get/change/delete operations on any
search results, and make the authentication tokens more than just
strings (they'll probably embed all the information needed for a search,
acting like database table rows).  I'll add a layer for backward
compatibility, of course.

Ted