Re: Custom themes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Custom themes
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:25:48 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Just a heads-up: I've mentioned before that I'd like to include some
> easy way for newbies to choose a different color scheme, similar to what
> color-theme.el does.  However, instead of including color-theme.el, I'm
> writing an independent implementation.

I've checked in a simple implementation of the theme chooser, which can
be accessed via M-x customize-themes.  As mentioned, the underlying
mechanism is the Custom Themes feature which has existed since Emacs 22.

To start, I've slapped together a couple of default themes and put them
in the lisp/themes directory.  These won't necessarily be the ones we
end up including for Emacs 24; we might replace them later.

By default, we should include a small number of default color themes,
say 3-4 light-background themes and 3-4 dark-background themes.  (We can
also include variable themes, if there happens to be a need.)  If we end
up with a lot of extra themes, they can go into an `extra-themes'
package on elpa.gnu.org.  I don't know how we'll go about picking the
default themes to include, which could be the mother of all bikeshedding
discussions.  Procedural suggestions welcome.  One restriction is that
we have to treat themes distributed with Emacs like source code, so any
non-trivial theme will likely need a copyright assignment.