Re: testing framework and package.el

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: testing framework and package.el
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:00:17 +1100

 On 13/10/10 4:41, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Christian Ohler writes:

  >  As long as we don't touch a given test, we know that it's
  >  compatible.  If we have to modify it to keep it passing, we know
  >  that there was an incompatible change.

You are forgetting new tests for old features.

I was referring to them as "tests written after the fact", sorry for not being clearer.

These *must* be run
against old versions to ensure that the current version of the feature
is still compatible with the old one.

Yes; but this only needs to be done once per test. The old version is not going to change. This is assuming that tests get merged into all branches where changes are made, including bugfix branches. I assume this is the part that you want to avoid.

Christian.