Re: Custom themes

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Custom themes
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:06:54 +0100

On 12/10/10 21:25, Chong Yidong wrote:

(We can also include variable themes, if there happens to be a need.)

You mean themes of customisation variables? Or did you mean color-adjustment themes that adapted to light/dark backgrounds?

The color-adjustment themes are "look" themes rather than "feel" themes. But "feel" themes are AFAIK equally feasible with the existing machinery - I hesitate to mention it* but I had been looking at the customisation theme mechanism as a way to encapsulate old vs. new selection settings, though was deterred by its previous interface that had little to no discoverability.

A "emacs22weirdoldselect" theme (probably need a separate one for w32) would probably be possible - though it would be necessary to use a customisation variable to control mouse-yank rather than the current rebind to mouse-yank-primary for the relevant mouse-2 adjustment to allow such a thing - obviously one can't control bindings via customisation themes right now because bindings aren't under the customisation umbrella yet (if they ever will be).

[If such "feel" themes were to be endorsed, then the ability to place themes into categories in the customize-theme interface it might be good]

* I'd be worried about it become a maintenance albatross long term, though I suppose things could just be eventually deprecated.