Re: users and selection changes

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: users and selection changes
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:18:36 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> If by "copying something in X" you mean, "select something in Xterm", then:
>
>    (setq x-select-enable-primary t)

Yeah, I have that, but it...  uhm.  I could have sworn that didn't work!
But it does work now.

*scratches head*

I even wrote this thing because it didn't work:

(global-set-key [(hyper y)]
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (mouse-yank-primary (point))))

But I'm unable to not get it to work any more...  Hm.

Sorry for the noise.

> The _problem_ with setting x-select-enable-primary is that now all
> _Emacs_ selections end up in the kill ring too, which is almost
> certainly Not What You Want.

Well, it doesn't really bother me.  I don't use the mouse at all in
Emacs, so...

> My idea to get around that problem (expressed on the gnu.emacs.help
> newsgroup) is to add a feature that makes emacs put all selections
> _except_ those originating from itself (the current Emacs process) on
> the kill ring.

Sounds good to me.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen