Re: users and selection changes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: users and selection changes
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:46:59 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> My idea to get around that problem (expressed on the gnu.emacs.help
> newsgroup) is to add a feature that makes emacs put all selections
> _except_ those originating from itself (the current Emacs process) on
> the kill ring.

That is OK as an option, but not the default.  It makes accidental
clobbering too easy; if you type C-c in another X application and select
some text, you wouldn't be able to paste the original copied text into
Emacs with C-y.  This is inconsistent with the modern X point of view,
which treats the primary selection as a fragile entity easily
overwritten as a side-effect of text-selection, and therefore unreliable
for anything except middle click mouse pastes.  Hence all nontrivial
application operations (e.g. the various Paste/Paste As/Paste Into
commands) should act on the clipboard.  If someone wants to implement
the option, feel free.