Re: (no subject)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:08:17 +0200 (CEST)

> bzr was slow on savannah due to the use of sftp.
> Do people find bzr satisfactory now?

Well, I'm only doing `bzr pull', and it seems indeed to be more
responsive than previously.  However, the amount of data transferred
by bzr is still excessively large.  For example, updating from
rev. 101894 (Oct. 10th) to today's rev. 101979 (with `bzr pull') used
more than 20MByte!  Looking at the amount of changes actually applied
to the repository, I estimate that git would need only approx. 200 to
300kByte $(Q#|(B this is 70 to 100 times less...

It would be great if someone using an emacs git repository could
verify my estimation.

git compresses the data on the remote side before transferring it.
Does bzr omit that step?  Maybe I'm missing a bzr option?  Otherwise,
it looks like a severe flaw in the design.  Given that many users
(including me currently) use mobile internet connections which are
sometimes extremely slow due to weak signal strength, bandwidth *is*
an issue even today.

    Werner