Re: testing framework and package.el

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: testing framework and package.el
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:37:11 +1100

 On 14/10/10 1:19, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Christian Ohler writes:

  >  IIUC, this design requires developers who want to add features and write
  >  tests for them to check out two different bzr branches and submit two
  >  different patches.

Currently, yes.  With nested branches, the checkout will be implicit.

Let's find a solution that works well now rather than speculating on a future bzr feature that may be delayed, may be slow in its initial implementation, or may turn out not to work the way we think it will. Once nested branches are implemented, we can learn how they work, and then split the repositories if it still makes sense.

  >  Isn't that a rather high bar that will be inconvenient for
  >  developers and discourage them from writing tests?

In my experience, people who actually write tests (unless there's a
firm requirement that tests be submitted before committing) are hard
to discourage.

We want more than this; we want those who don't write tests to start doing so. Putting significant barriers in their way makes it much less likely that Emacs will gain a useful test suite.

The real problem is getting those tests backported.

You mean, running a test suite in an older Emacs version, and adding fboundp checks to the tests that test missing features, is harder than writing the test suite in the first place? I don't expect that will be true.

  >  As an alternative that avoids this problem, we could maintain the tests
  >  in Emacs trunk, but our makefiles could have a test_src variable that
  >  defaults to tests, and that we can set to ../trunk/tests when running
  >  tests in the emacs-23 directory in Stephen's layout.

Which still requires serious developers to have multiple checkouts.

You are right that developers who want to run tests in multiple versions of Emacs will need the code for all those versions, and the code for the tests. There is no way around that. However, including the tests in Emacs' trunk saves them one checkout, and means less hassle submitting Emacs bugfixes together with additional tests. Also, casual contributors often won't have multiple Emacs versions checked out, and they are worth catering for. It seems more likely that they would contribute tests if they can do so without the overhead of multiple workspaces.

The solution of adding a makefile variable like test_src that allows running the test suite from a different workspace seems to solve the problem you described, and is much simpler than splitting the repository. Do you think it has significant drawbacks?

Christian.