Re: Gnus in Emacs bzr revision 101985 acting weird

From: Ashish SHUKLA
Subject: Re: Gnus in Emacs bzr revision 101985 acting weird
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:49:00 +0530

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> address@hidden (Ashish SHUKLA) writes:

>> It is just that the "R" mark is not visible in the "Summary" buffer. The mail
>> gets marked as in when I leave the "Summary" buffer and return to *Group*
>> buffer I can see the unread count of mails decreased.

> Then it sounds like either `gnus-read-mark' has been set to the space
> character, or something is altering your `gnus-summary-line-format'.

I'm currently running Gnus (shipped with Emacs bzr revision 101988) in FreeBSD
(amd64).

Value of `gnus-read-mark' is:

82 (#o122, #x52)

Value of `gnus-summary-line-format' is:

"%U%R%z %d %B%(%[%-25,25f%]%) %s
"

which is same as what I've set in my .gnus:

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z %d %B%(%[%-25,25f%]%) %s\n")

In case if it helps, I tried to dump all buffer-local-variables[1] in the
"Summary" buffer by eval-ing following:

#v+
(let ((l (buffer-local-variables))
      (buf (generate-new-buffer "debug-output-testing")))
 (set-buffer buf)
 (dolist (v l) (insert (format "%s = %s\n" (car v) (cdr v)))))
#v-

Also I noticed that in drafts group, I can't edit existing drafts, as I used
to do using 'e' key, I looked up Gnus manual, and found mention of 'D e' to
edit draft, but that performs the same function as 'e' key. I did 'C-h c D'
and that resulted in following:

D runs the command gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward

To edit the draft of this message, I've to use the M-x gnus-draft-edit-message.

I'm wondering if something major has changed between revisions 101606 and
current, which I didn't noticed :(. I'll go through log.

>> And there is nothing I can found in my load path which alters Gnus behavior,
>> other than BBDB, as shown below:

> Well, perhaps it's BBDB that's interfering, then?

I disabled BBDB as well, and nothing changed.

> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Let me know if you need my .gnus or any other configuration or debug output.