Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:17:57 +0800

Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

> * Richard Stallman [2010-10-22 12:22] writes:
>
>>     > I think most people now agree that `C-x C-x' shouldn't activate the
>>     > region when transient-mark-mode is switched on, but nobody
>>     > has actually altered that function to stop doing this.
>>
>> C-x C-x is the main way to activate an existing region in Transient
>> Mark mode.  To make that require C-u will be a different pain in the
>> neck.
>>
>> The change for C-d and DEL to delete all regions was too radically
>> incompatible to make made without polling the users first.  The right
>> thing to do is take that change out, then address the issue the right
>> way: by polling the users.
>
> I haven't been asked, but I too think C-x C-x should not activate the
> region.  That always annoyed me.

I have always used C-x C-x for navigation purposes.  Now that
transient-mark-mode is on by default, I find it an annoyance that the
region is activated as a side-effect of swapping mark and point.

Reactivating the region is not something I've ever found the need to do,
but if I did, I would consider the swapping mark and point to be an
annoying side effect, and would prefer a command that does not have that
side effect.