Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:36:24 +0900

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 > So...  people have been complaining for more than two years, and nobody
 > has addressed this yet?

It has been addressed.  The only way this *can* be addressed is to
make a decision one way or the other, and that's been done.  Nobody
says you have to like it, of course.

FWIW transient-mark-mode (actually, zmacs-mode) ON has been the
default in XEmacs since 1998 or so, and the complaints took about 12
months to die out.  My impression at the time was that a majority of
the complainers tried the new behavior and decided it was acceptable
(may be biased, because I'm in that group), and a large minority
decided to turn it off at initialization and stopped complaining.  New
users never complain about it AFAICR.