Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102057: Make all 3 copies of x-s

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102057: Make all 3 copies of x-select-enable-clipboard have the same doc.
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:55:05 -0400

> Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:02:54 -0400
> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > >   * lisp/term/pc-win.el (x-select-enable-clipboard):
> > >   * lisp/term/x-win.el (x-select-enable-clipboard):
> > >   * lisp/w32-vars.el (x-select-enable-clipboard): Make doc-strings
> > > identical.
> >
> > Thanks.  Better yet would be to move them/it to lisp/term/common-win.el.
>
> Done for x-win and w32-vars. Sadly common-win "common part of handling
> window system" is not loaded by the MS-DOS (or Nextstep) ports.
> So there needs to be a "really-common-win" for MS-Win+X+NS, and a
> "really-really-common-win" for MS-Win+X+NS+DOS...

When I revived the MS-DOS port 2 years ago, I had a good reason not to
load common-win.el.  I tried, and it caused trouble, so I removed it
from loadup.el and left behind a comment (which admittedly lacks
details).  I could try that again, if it's important, and report the
problems it causes, if any are left.

That said, I don't understand why selection-related stuff belongs to
*-win.el.  It has nothing to do with window systems; it's quite
possible that text terminals will be able to access selections (and I
understand some of them already do).  What will we do then--load
common-win.el on a tty as well?

So how about finding a better home for that stuff?  Like frame.el or
mouse.el, for example?