Re: Backporting changes into emacs-23 prior to pretest

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Backporting changes into emacs-23 prior to pretest
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:02:00 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> In preparation for the Emacs 23.3 pretest, I'd like to ask everyone if
> there are any specific parts of the trunk you'd like to see backported.
> The 23.3 release will be mostly bugfixes, so significant new features
> will not be considered.  However, updated "stable" versions of exsiting
> modes and packages should be acceptable.

How about this one:
   ** Directory local variables can apply to file-less buffers.
   For example, adding "(diff-mode . ((mode . whitespace)))" to your
   .dir-locals.el file, will turn on `whitespace-mode' for *vc-diff* buffers.
The code change itself is small, and only touches one or two
functions.

How about the changes to make major modes derive from `prog-mode'?
[This is not quite finished, but it won't be too hard to finish it...]

> (One set of changes that I think would be good to backport are the
> improvements to VC since emacs-23 was branched.  However, this is
> complicated by the fact that the Lisp files have been moved into a vc/
> directory in the trunk, so I'm not sure how to go about merging them.
> Does anyone have a suggestion?)

Copy the files from trunk over to the branch.  AFAIR there's nothing
that depends on changes to the core, so just copying should be fine.