Re: Remote TCP server through ssh tunnel

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: Remote TCP server through ssh tunnel
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:22:10 +0200

Peter Oliver writes:
> I think you misunderstand.  The suggestion here isn't that you should run
> emacs
> over X11.  The other person is pointing out that SSH arranges this for you in
> way that confuses emacsclient.

Yup, but the net effect is equivalent to going into the server machine
and executing a graphical emacs that is transported through X11 back to
my client machine (where the X11 server resides :)).

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid, and what I was expecting was
the split model that Chad and Stefan were describing.

In any case, thanks a lot for your answers, at least now I can tell my
work mate that this is one of the few things that his shiny new emacs
cannot do :)

> Anyway, as people have mentioned, I think you should look into Tramp.

Well, he told me that tramp was just "too slow" when saving files. I
don't know if this can be optimized.

> If you re-use your existing SSH connections by adding, e.g.,
>       ControlMaster   auto
>       ControlPath     ~/.ssh/mux/address@hidden:%p
> to your ~/.ssh/config, this is all perfectly speedy.

Which I already do :)

Thanks,
  Lluis

 Tollbooth