ns-win.el [was Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102057: Make all

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: ns-win.el [was Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102057: Make all 3 copies of x-select-enable-clipboard have the same doc.]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:59:13 -0400

>> I haven't looked at the ns-win code in a while so I'm a little hesitant to
>> attempt the cleanup now, but if someone wants to try I'm happy to answer
>> questions about "why the heck is this thing in there?" etc. and test the
>> resulting changes.

I made ns load common-win.
The [x,ns]-handle-* stuff is still to be addressed.

Questions:

1. Are the 'ns specific menu adjustments that are now in menu-bar.el
really necessary? They seem so trivial as to be pointless.

An extra "spell" menu "for platform consistency", renaming the "Paste
from Kill Menu" item, etc.

2. Why all the wacky stuff in x-setup-function-keys? Why does the ns
port need to define the f1 key etc in system-key-alist, when no other
port does.

3. Why doesn't it define iso-lefttab in x-alternatives-map?

4. Is the before-make-frame-hook in ns-win really necessary?
Surely this is a window manager's job?

5. Does the ns port really need a special ns-print-buffer command?

6. ns-ignore-2-arg seems unused?

7. Can the 'mac- aliases be declared obsolete?

8. If running under GNUstep, rename "Help" to "Info". Is that really needed?
More generally, can the remaining menu-bar fiddling be done more
elegantly in menu-bar.el?