Re: moving x-select*

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: moving x-select*
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:28:50 -0700

On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:54 AM, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Chad Brown <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I hate to be a bikeshedding nay-sayer, but there are a fair number of new
>> touch-based UIs support selections without necessarily supporting pointing
>> mouse cursor-like concepts (Android being an obvious potential candidate).
>
> A touchscreen is a pointing device - that is why I did not say mouse.

Not in the sense that Emacs understands `pointing device'.  Android
*has* pointing device support, but the smartphone/tablet form factors
won't have one 99.9% of the time (for most of them, you'd have to add
the driver yourself).  This already came up in the maemo port, and I
really expect (hope) to see it again when the android tablets are
actually commonly available.

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding the original criteria, and
you're saying something more like ``since /some/ android devices
support a pointing device, all android ports will load the
pointing-device code even though many particular devices don't have
any support for it''.  If that case is fine in general, then what I'm
saying doesn't matter; I thought the original point was just that
having selection support depend on mouse support might be wrong.

This situation is on my mind lately, because I'm really hoping for a
decent android-based tablet that can usefully support emacs.   My
apologies if my enthusiasm has caused trouble.

*Chad