Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:23:56 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Think again.  I just came across a 3rd-party package that uses
> `finder-package-info'.  I had to inform the author that it won't work
> anymore, starting with Emacs 24 (unless something changes).  I had no
> more help for him

Which package is this?

> If you truly "merged" those two variables, why couldn't you provide
> compatibility - via defalias or something?

Preferably not.  If almost no one is using the old data, it's better to
make a clean break than to lug around two copies of the same data.

> Also, I do not, in any case, see any `package--builtins-base' in Emacs
> 24.

The system has been tweaked a couple of times since I posted that.  I'll
add a placeholder NEWS entry as a reminder, but there will likely be
more changes before Emacs 24 is released.