Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 17:31:49 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Nothing, including doc strings, the manuals, and even code behavior,
> _really_ matters for users until Emacs is released.  Of course.  But
> that is no reason to wait until just before a release to add the doc
> strings, update the manual, or correct the code.

There's a significant difference between ChangeLog entries and
docstrings, on the one hand, and the manual.  Additions to the manual
take an order of magnitude more time and effort, which are wasted if the
code changes later in the development cycle.

But, if you have the extra time and energy to contribute to
documentation, your contributions will be gladly accepted.

The NEWS file falls somewhere in between.  It's good to keep NEWS
entries as detailed and up to date as possible.  But, in cases where we
know an implementation detail is going to be changed before release,
it's OK to put FIXME placeholders there.  Before the pretest, someone
(usually me) goes through NEWS and fixes the entries.