Re: Incorrect merge

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Incorrect merge
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:19:05 +0100

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 21:37, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Suggestions are welcome.

I don't think there are magic bullets. Either we note somewhere (in a
file, for example) which revisions in the branches must not be
committed to the trunk, or we make sure that the info is conspicuous
enough in the patches themselves so the person doing the merge does
not miss it.

Adding a note to the commit log was suggested, and in fact followed in
this particular case, but during the merge is usually not necessary to
look at the commit log messages unless a conflict arises or you
suspect trouble somehow. A note as the first line in the ChangeLog
entry would be more visible, IMO. Perhaps also comments in the source,
though that would be messy/ugly for big patches.

Less significant, but more error prone than porting unwanted patches
to the trunk is merging the ChangeLogs. In the merges I've done from
emacs-23, making sure the resulting ChangeLogs were updated with the
relevant entries (and nothing more and nothing less), was the most
time-consuming aspect of the merge.

    Juanma